Volcano Trekking Rwanda
Our volcano trekking expedition is designed with the real adventure enthusiast in mind. It offers the opportunity to climb the highest peak in Rwanda. While the itinerary focuses primarily on volcano trekking, it includes the obligatory gorilla tourism familiar to the region. We visit Dian Fossey‘s grave and the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage and subsequently track mountain gorillas in the Virunga National Park.
Despite the chance of encountering wild gorillas on our volcano treks, the emphasis is on making it possible to summit Africa’s 5th highest peak and to witness the earth’s raw energy in the world’s largest lava lake.
Along the shared border of Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda lie the Virunga Mountains. Derived from the Kinyarwanda word ibirunga meaning volcano, the chain comprises six extinct and two active volcanoes. The highest among these is Mount Karisimbi at a height of 4507m / 14 787 ft asl. The most active of these is Nyiragongo, known for the dramatic lava lake in its crater.
Though trekking to these summits may not compete with iconic objectives such as Kilimanjaro, Mt Kenya or the Rwenzoris, the unusual journey into the wilds of the DRC makes the trip worthy of expedition status.
Looking for more adventure? Consider our Explore Rwanda trip.
BEST MONTHS TO TRAVEL
This programme is best run between the months of June to October
HOTELS & LODGES
Active Africa offers a selection of preferred hotels and lodges that are designed to fit your budget and travel style. However, often there are many places where we travel where options are very limited, or where we feel either the location or the experience offered by a particular property is quintessential to the experience, in which case we use these properties across both Premium and Classic itineraries.
Due to the nature of this expedition, only Classic hotels and lodges are available.
Often selected more for their regional character and location than as a cost-effective alternative, our Classic range of properties tick all the boxes associated with good lodgings. Expect great service, character filled comfortable rooms and delicious locally sourced meals to weave a common theme, while the stunning African landscape elevates your stay from the memorable to the sublime.
- Kigali (1 night) : Kigali Serena – Deluxe Rooms / Heaven Boutique Hotel (king rooms)
- Volcanoes National Park (4 nights): Tiloreza Volcanoes Eco-Lodge
- Karisimbi (1 night): National Park mountain camp, catered by Active Africa
- Virunga National Park (1 night): Mikeno Lodge
- Nyiragongo (1 night): Summit shelters, catered by Active Africa
- Private 4×4 vehicle for the duration of the experience, including fuel & tolls.
- Dedicated service of professional trip crew: Active Africa Trip Leader/host, local English-speaking, professional driver/guide, experienced local trekking guides, porters and support crew.
- Welcome cocktails and trip briefing on arrival night.
- 8 nights Classic grade accommodation on a per person sharing basis
- All meals, including all hot beverages and bottled water.
- All trekking permits, national park fees and activity costs.
- All group equipment for activities as listed (kayaks & associated equipment, group technical safety gear, all camping equipment).
- General Hosting (bottled mineral water on activities & vehicles, activity associated refreshments and snacks, minor incidental costs while touring)
- Hotel porterage, event, local guide, trek crew & meal gratuities as applicable
- Meal & accommodation per diems for the trip crew.
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure
Priced from USD 9400.00 per person sharing
All Active Africa Scheduled Departures require a minimum of 4 guests to operate. Private Departures operating on a minimum of 2 guests and tailored to your specific requirements are also available – contact your Active Africa Travel planner for details.
Thursday 6th August 2020 to Friday 14th August 2020
Thursday 8th October 2020 to Friday 16th October 2020
YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Due to the nature of this trip and limitations of accommodations and certain logistics, we recommend a maximum of 6 people travelling to get the best from the experience.
- This trip is graded Challenging to Extreme. Volcano trekking involves direct and steep ascent over often slippery ground. Climbing an active volcano carries the associated risks f unexpected eruptions. Security in the DRC can be volatile and the political or safety situation can change on very short notice.
- Due to the potentially volatile security situation in the Democratic Republic of Rwanda, guides reserve the right to amend the Nyiragongo portion of the itinerary and revert to a kayak and mountain bike experience on the Rwandan side of Lake Kivu.
- This programme is not suitable for children under the age of 18.
- We cannot control the weather – this is an outdoor, nature based itinerary and indoor alternatives are limited, if non-existent. Come prepared to be take on the elements if the weather is not playing fair.