CAMPS & LODGES
Given the remote location of this program, the itinerary makes use of specific camps and lodges.
We kick off at The Highlands, a beautifully quirky camp nestled on the side of Olmoti Volcano. We spend our first night of the trip here, though additional nights can be added if you wish to explore the highlands a little more.
The following SIX nights are spent at walking fly camps.
Travellers can choose a more basic fly camp and a more comfortable camp.
A basic camp comprises lightweight nylon dome tents with mattresses on the floor, pillows, bed linens or quality sleeping bags. There are shared bathroom facilities with composting toilets and bucket showers.
A small mobile camp comprises 4mx4m dome tents, beds, mattresses, linens.
Sit-down meals are taken outside, weather permitting, but a mess tent is erected for shelter or shade.
The program ends at Namiri Plains, a spectacularly-located wood, stone and canvas camp.
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL
This program is restricted to the summer months from December through March. Large sections of the trek around the Gol Mountains and Salei Plains are dry and arid during the dry season. This makes the trek hot and uncomfortable with very little wildlife to see.
Please note however, that this coincides with the short rains (November/December) and the start of the long rains (March – May).
There is a good chance of encountering the wildebeest migration between December and February.
From $8990 per person sharing
This price is based on 6 people travelling during the low season. However, the program is not available during the festive season, between 20 Dec and 5 Jan)
Please note regarding all Active Africa trips:
- Specials may apply to one or more of the hotels in this itinerary. The price shown does not take these into account. Please contact us for a date-specific quote
- Unless you’re looking at a scheduled departure or founders’ trip, all itineraries are customisable. Tell us how we can make it perfect for you.
Accommodation at The Highlands – 1 night
Fly camping (basic or small mobile, as selected) – 6 nights
Accommodation at Namiri Plains – 3 nights
All meals, all house drinks (soft drinks and selected alcohol) throughout
Transfer Manyara airstrip to The Highlands and Namiri Plains to Seronera airstrip
Park fees and camping fees, expert walking guide throughout, back-up four-wheel safari vehicle, all logistics for fly camp set up, permanent camp conservation charges
Camping and trekking equipment, except for personal day pack
Internal flights ARK – MAN / SER – ARK
Services of an Active Africa host (where opted for inclusion)
YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Due to the nature of this trip, safety and the limitations of supply and logistics, we limit the group size to a maximum of 8 people.
- This trip is graded Moderate to Hard. Although the hiking is not demanding, the terrain and distance (~20km/12miles) per day require a good level of walking fitness. Participants should be physically prepared to maximise the experience.
- Walking activities on this programme take place in a habitat where potentially dangerous wildlife exists and participants should be aware of the associated risks
- This programme is not suitable for children under the age of 16.
- We cannot control the weather – this is an outdoor, nature based itinerary and indoor alternatives are not available. Come prepared to be take on the elements if the weather is not playing fair.
- Descending from the Ngorongoro highlands involves a long period of downhill walking. We will provide lightweight trekking poles where needed.
Most of the distance is covered in the coolest part of the day
We generally wake up early and enjoy coffee and a snack before hitting the trail around 6am. Breakfast and lunch are taken on the trail and we normally reach camp around mid-afternoon.
The walk is guided by a specialist walking guide and a national park ranger and hosted by an Active Africa trip leader. Both the guide and the ranger are armed and both remain in camp at night.
Vehicle support is available for emergencies and guides and camp staff are in constant radio contact