Epic Drakensberg walking and biking
The sandstone buttresses of Golden Gate and the peaks of the Drakensberg are some South Africa’s most recognisable mountains. It therefore makes sense that it is the backdrop of one of our most exciting South African trips.
Dramatic golden sandstone cliffs form the backdrop to some of our favourite road biking through the Golden Gate National Park. Meanwhile, the higher trails of the Drakensberg offer some of the very best mountain walking in South Africa and quiet paved back roads and gnarly single track are the secret sauce in epic road and mountain bike rides.
The Ukhahlamba-Drakensberg National Park and Lesotho’s Sehlathebe National Park form the Maloti-Drakensberg World Heritage site. This richly diverse region is home to critically-endangered species such as the bearded vulture and the Maloti minnow. In addition, the sandstone caves of the Drakensberg mountains reveal some of South Africa’s best-preserved San rock art.
This trip takes place in some of the lesser-explored regions of South Africa. The Drakensberg is a well-known and popular hiking destination amongst South Africans, but remains relatively unexplored by foreign visitors. We want to change that by sharing its brooding beauty and the warm welcome extended by rural villagers. Walking and biking in the Drakensberg and Golden Gate offers the best opportunity to genuinely explore the ancient natural and cultural history of the region. In addition, it facilitates authentic interactions with rural communities and historical families. We have not forgotten the historians. We include a presentation of the British defeat at the hands of Boer commandos during the South African War (1899-1902).
If you are already familiar with South Africa and are looking for something new and exciting, this trip is a must-do. If this is your first visit, consider including this region in your itinerary.
HOTELS & LODGES
We make use of an eclectic selection of hotels, guesthouses and lodges that combine luxury, tranquillity and impeccable service with accessibility to the best activities.
- Airport Meet & Greet and Hotel Transfer on arrival.
- Dedicated private vehicle for the duration of the experience, including fuel & tolls.
- Dedicated service of 1 Active Africa Driver Guide.
- Meal & accommodation per diems for the guide.
- All accommodation as listed on a per person sharing basis
- All meals
- All park entrance and activity costs as indicated.
- All equipment for activities as listed (bikes, helmets, mechanical support, handlebar bags, walking poles, water bottles, walking pouches).
- General Hosting (mineral water on rides/walks/vehicles, activity refreshments and snacks, minor incidental costs while touring)
- Pre & post trip arrangements
- Wine, Beverages & refreshments.
- Any activities or excursions not listed in the itinerary
- Spa treatments
- Personal Travel Insurance
- Health Requirements & Inoculations
- Items of a personal nature
- Wine and beverages with included meals
- Event & meal gratuities as applicable
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL
This itinerary can be run year-round.
The summer months (Dec-Mar) are warm and can bring powerful thunderstorms and heavy rain in the afternoon. However, mornings are generally dry and cooler.
Winter months (June-Aug) are dry and cold with snow appearing on the Drakensberg anytime between July and October.
The walks and bike rides on this trip can be completely tailored to the group’s fitness level. You can choose road biking or mountain biking, based on your personal preference/skills and the length of the rides and hikes can be adapted to ensure that each traveller enjoys optimal comfort and experience.
Given the duration of the trip, a good walking and biking fitness is advisable.
Some hotels have frozen rates for 2021.
Please contact us for an updated price.
Please note regarding all Active Africa trips:
- Unless otherwise specified, all prices shown on the website are based on shoulder season rates. These will change for travel in low / high season
- Specials may apply to one or more of the hotels in this itinerary. The price shown does not take these into account. Please contact us for a date-specific quote
- Unless you’re looking at a scheduled departure or founders’ trip, all itineraries are customisable. Tell us how we can make it perfect for you.