The intimate layout of Founders Camp makes it perfect for exclusive use by one group or an extended family. The four elegant suites and spacious public deck overlook the Mathlabas River, making the camp extremely calm, relaxed and welcoming. Tucked away in the shade of the trees, with an infinity pool, Founders Camp is the perfect refuge in the heat of the summer months. This, combined with views across the reserve towards the Waterberg massif, means that taking a rest day in camp is always an option.
There are indoor and outdoor dining areas, a sunken deck with fire pit and an interactive kitchen perfectly positioned for exclusivity.
- Open year-round
- 1 vehicle and private guide for the camp
- 4 suites
- Maximum 8 adults + 2 children
- Camp is fenced
- Wifi in camp / Cellular reception is patchy
- Electricity: camp is on the grid
- Aircon / bath / indoor shower / outdoor shower
- There is no gym (but there is plenty of opportunity to exercise!)
- No spa facilities (there’s no time anyway – book an appointment at your next stop)
- Private dining is available
- Disabled access can be arranged
All bookings at Marataba Conservation Camps have a private vehicle and guide to offer total flexibility around conservation participation.
General and conservation activities are offered on a ‘mix and match’ basis, allowing guests to combine a selection of activities for a fully
tailor-made itinerary according to specific interests and desires.
Each activity is allocated a fitness level to assist with your decision to participate:
Level 1: no fitness required; suitable for all guests
Level 2: easy walking; suitable for all guests
Level 3: further walking on non-technical landscape with limited physical strain
Level 4: a degree of fitness and agility required; limited technical landscapes
Level 5: good fitness, agility and endurance required; includes technical landscapes.
- Game drives and boat excursions – Level 1
- Walks and multi-day hikes – Levels 1-5
- Rhino Conservation – Level 2
- Predator tracking (telemetry) – Level 2 (min age 14 years)
- Elephant Conservation – Levels 1 & 2
- Camera trap set up – Levels 1-4, location-dependent (min age 14 years, location dependent)
- Species mapping – Level 1
- Snare Patrol – Level 2
- Community garden visits – Level 1
IS FOUNDERS CAMP THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU?
- Ideal for a family group or a group of friends
- The camp of choice if you would normally prefer a premier safari camp
- Best option if a you prefer to be on the river
FOUNDERS CAMP IS AVAILABLE DURING WORLD RHINO WEEK:
Rhino Conservation Week