The cosy Explorers Camp overlooks a busy waterhole with the spectacular Waterberg massif as a backdrop. Afternoons and evenings are alive with activity as the local elephant bulls congregate for a ‘pint’ in front of the camp. Large trees offer respite from the hot sun and hammocks, cushions and couches provide many comfortable areas from which to watch the spectacle.
There is a comfortable lounge and indoor dining area, an outdoor fire pit and abundant outdoor dining. There are five comfortable canvas tents and one family tent, each with en-suite bathroom and a comfortable deck.
- Open year-round
- 2 vehicles and 2 guides for the camp which can be booked on a semi-exclusive basis
- 6 tents
- Maximum 12 adults + 6 children
- Camp is fenced
- Wifi in camp / Cellular reception is patchy
- Electricity: camp is on the grid
- Aircon / indoor shower
- There is no gym (but there is plenty of opportunity to exercise!)
- No spa facilities (there’s no time anyway – book an appointment at your next stop)
- Private dining is available
- Disabled access can be arranged
All bookings at Marataba Conservation Camps have a private guide to offer total flexibility around conservation participation.
General and conservation activities are offered on a ‘mix and match’ basis, allowing guests to combine a selection of activities for a fully
tailor-made itinerary according to specific interests and desires.
Each activity is allocated a fitness level to assist with your decision to participate:
Level 1: no fitness required; suitable for all guests
Level 2: easy walking; suitable for all guests
Level 3: further walking on non-technical landscape with limited physical strain
Level 4: a degree of fitness and agility required; limited technical landscapes
Level 5: good fitness, agility and endurance required; includes technical landscapes.
- Game drives and boat excursions – Level 1
- Walks and multi-day hikes – Levels 1-5
- Rhino Conservation – Level 2 (surcharge applies)
- Predator tracking (telemetry) – Level 2 (min age 14 years)
- Elephant Conservation – Levels 1 & 2
- Camera trap set up – Levels 1-4, location-dependent (min age 14 years, location dependent)
- Species mapping – Level 1
- Snare Patrol – Level 2
- Community garden visits – Level 1
IS EXPLORERS CAMP THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU?
- An extremely cost-effective option for those preferring to spend their resources on activities
- The camp of choice if you would normally prefer a more adventurous safari camp
- Best option if a you want to see elephants close up!
- Perfect for bush lovers
EXPLORERS CAMP IS AVAILABLE DURING WORLD RHINO WEEK:
Rhino Conservation Week