Make a Donation
During the winter lockdown Active African Nicole Samsodien and her family supported a homeless community in Cape Town’s southern suburbs. Nicole and the Matthews family provided food, clothing and basic supplies to children, adults and pets who were living on the street or in shanties a stone’s throw from middle class suburbs. In spite of donor fatigue and the devastating economic effects of COVID-19 on their own incomes, Nicole and her family continue to assist the community.
Nicole’s US-based sister Lizelle, also contributed a significant donation to buy provisions, but this is being quickly depleted and with Christmas around the corner, Nicole would like to make a push to provide basic food supplies to the community to tide them over the holiday season.
HIKE FOR HUNGER
Active Africa guides have stepped up to help raise funds for Nicole’s project. COVID-19 has been devastating to tourism around the world and every one of us has been significantly affected. However, while we are unable to do the work we love, we are fortunate to be able to still enjoy our ‘office’.
We will, therefore, be walking from the base of Table Mountain to the Silvermine Dam, a distance of 25km, on December 18th.
We aim to raise enough money to provide staple food items for the 102 families at Flamingo Heights informal settlement and the approximately 150 individuals of the Lansdowne homeless community over the Christmas period. Ideally, we hope to raise enough to continue to support the community into 2021.
This is how you can assist us:
- Make a quick and easy donation via PayPal
- Pledge a donation and we’ll send you a credit card payment link.
- Donate items from the list below (we will arrange to collect)
- Get sponsored the old-school way and walk with us on the 18th (remember swimming back and forth for Aunty Betty’s R2 a length sponsorship?)
- Walk with us and have your thousands of Facebook friends drop us a $5 donation via PayPal
FYI: $5 = approx R75 / $10 = approx R150
Heaps of gratitude to the following donors:
- Lizelle Johnson (2 donations) – USA
- Benjamin Ogoola – USA
- Quashay Frazier – USA
- Tobi Smith-Kayode – USA
- Gail Adams – USA
- Enrique Disla – USA
- Aimie Jaiteh – USA
- Fern Fisher – USA
- Lorraine Booth (2 donations) – USA
- Jacqui Goodwin – South Africa
- Milk – South Africa
- Myles Apsey – South Africa
- Judy Coleman – South Africa
- Sean Christie – South Africa
- Riccardo Romersi – USA
- Natural Yarns – South Africa
- Margaret Baer – Switzerland
- Kym Abrams – Australia
- Chelsea Gibson – USA
- Bronwyn Leverton – South Africa
- Gretchen Sonego – USA
- Scott Breen – USA
- Raoul Rontsch – Switzerland
- Neil Heynecke – South Africa
- Laura Christie – South Africa
- Ashley Reid – Germany
- Brian Christie – South Africa
- Craig & Lyndie Reiche – South Africa
- Claire & Ian Wallace – South Africa
- Michelle Sholto-Douglas – South Africa
- Eggy Eggcellence – South Africa
- Jean Gardiner – UK
- Di & Dave Dickenson – South Africa
- Andrew, Penny & Michaela Brouckaert – South Africa
- Ruth Leverton – South Africa
Can’t assist financially?
Then come and walk with us anyway and have a great day out on the mountain. When would you otherwise have the chance to walk on Table Mountain with qualified mountain and tourist guides for free?
We will be making up parcels of the following. Please feel free to donate items from the list below:
Children’s Christmas party packs:
- Small chips
- Small sweets
- Small juice
- Small toy
Adult dry goods parcels:
- maize meal
- tea bags
- cooking oil
- milk powder
- bread loaf
- Dog/cat food
- Toilet paper
- Any used clothing in good condition
Our route on 18 December
Starts at the LOWER CABLE STATION
Finishes at SILVERMINE DAM
We start up India Venster, across the main table to Maclear’s Beacon, along Smuts track to the Overseers hut, then via Constantia Ridge to Constantia Nek.
From Constantia Nek to Blackburn Ravine via the manganese mines, up Blackburn Ravine and descend to the Silvermine Dam.
For anyone who would like to join us for part of the way here are some short options and hop-on/hop-off points:
- Avoid hiking up India Venster by heading up in the cable car and walking across the back of the mountain
- Hike up India Venster or Platteklip Gorge to Maclear’s Beacon and back to the Upper Cableway (~8.5km)
- Hop off/on at the Constantia Nek parking
Upper cableway to Constantia Nek = ~16.5km
Constantia Nek to Silvermine Dam via manganese mines and Blackburn Ravine =~9km